I am going through a bout of soda craving since I gave it up as a new years resolution. So, in attempt to satisfy said craving, I am making this list. These were not all horrible sodas, in fact, I enjoyed Crystal Pepsi…but it is a list of sodas that were discontinued by companies after extensive campaigns.
1. Crystal Pepsi - Ah, the early 90's. A time of flannel, AIDS awareness, abortion and gay rights debates, and crisp, clear sodas. Pepsi rolled this out as a soda without preservatives, coloring, and caffeine which was ultimately healthier. Unfortunately, it never caught on, because the public expected a Lemon-Lime flavor, not the slightly Pepsiesque flavor.
Also, remeber the ad campaign using Van Halen’s Right Now as the pitch?
2. Coke II/New Coke - Due to Pepsi's dominance of the market in the 1980's (mainly due to marketing deals with megastars like Michael Jackson and Michael J. Fox), Coca-Cola decided to roll out a cola with a new flavor formula which tasted similar to the sweeter Pepsi product. The result was a backlash against Coca-cola for changing their timeless flavor, and ultimately resulted in releasing "Original Coke" which we drink today.
3. Pepsi Free - Well, this soda is not exactly 'failed', but the branding name failed. It is just known today as "Caffeine Free Pepsi". Personally, I think Pepsi Free sounds better, and it harkens back to a time where we remember Marty McFly ordering it at a soda shop in Hill Valley in 1955.
4. Pepsi Kona/Coca-Cola Blak - Coffee and Soda together. Enough Said. (Also note the awesome photoshop job I did on the Pepsi can to get rid of the background. It looks like it has pock marks from a bad case of acne.)
5. Pepsi Blue - I had the misfortune of coming across this drink while on tour. My budget was stretched thin, and the gas station we stopped at in Iowa had this in the cooler for 50 Cents for a 20oz bottle. So, I figured, what the hell? It's cheap, carbonated, and berry flavored...all things I can enjoy. Well, the drink tasted like a carbonated Kool-Aid mixed with baking soda and a jolly rancher. I threw it away before I even got back in the van to drive.